Working Guide to Root Android Phones Easy Way with SuperOneClick
This article will guide you through the process of the easiest way to root your android phone in just a few simple steps. I used this method to root my new motorola defy which comes with android 2.2 froyo and it took just few minutes to get the rooting done and superuser installed.
**Warning : Rooting an Android phone will break the phone’s warranty. In some countries it will break the TOS with your mobile carrier, operator. So proceed only if you are 100% sure you want to root your android device.
What Does Rooting Android Mean ?
When you buy your android phone it comes shipped with the factory loaded android operating system where the admin access is limited and often restricted. This stops you from using lots of cool apps and features in an android phone as they require admin, root access permissions which an un-rooted phone won’t allow. Rooting an android phone breaks this lock and restriction and lets you modify your phone and many aspects of it according to your needs.
Advantages of Rooting an Android Phone, Tablet
There are several reasons for why you might want to consider rooting your android phone or tablet. Some of the important reasons for deciding to root your android device are :
- Total Control : You become the boss of your phone, not the manufacturer. You get full access to alter system files, apply your own themes and mods, remove those useless stock apps which you don’t need and most importantly install the cool apps supported by rooted android phone and tablets only. It gives you the ability to add new themes, edit the core apps (maps, calendar, clock, etc), change the recovery & boot images, add linux binaries etc.
- Improved Performance : Once you root your android phone, you can install custom ROMs on your android device like the CyanogenMOD ROM which is a community based aftermarket firmware for the Android based smart-phones. This ROM is quite popular and it might improve your phone overall performance and battery life significantly. Users can also over-clock to the CPU to get enhanced performance from the apps.
- Better UI, Keyboard : Rooted Android phones allows the use of many community custom themes and widgets which can optimize the way you used your android device earlier. The keyboard on the CyanogenMOD which resembles the HTC Hero’s own custom keyboard, is loaded which makes it quite easier to type text than on the default android 2.2 keyboard. (also try the 2.3 keyboard)
- Wi-Fi Tethering: After rooting your android device, you can use WiFi or Bluetooth tether to share mobile network data connection like 2G or 3G with your laptop, PC. You can do this over an ad-hoc network between your computer and android device. Same with Bluetooth.
- Install Applications on SD Card : Apps are great, but some apps like the GPS navigator Sygic downloads maps of sizes over 1GB. Not all android smart phones and devices have huge internal memory. Rooting android lets you install the Apps2SD application which moves selected apps from phone memory to SD Card saving you space and letting you use more apps on your android device.
How to Root Android Phone, Tablet in Simple Steps
Step 1 : Plug in and connect your android device to your computer via USB and it will initiate driver installation for the device. Install them. Skip this if you have done this already before.
Step 2 : Unplug and re-connect, but this time select "Charge only" to sure that your phone’s SD Card in not mounted to your PC during the rooting process.
Step 3 : Put your android into USB Debugging mode. Go to Settings > Applications > Development and enable USB Debugging. This will enable SuperOneClick to root your android device by running the exploit from your PC while connected via USB.
Check all the steps. All drivers should be installed. You SD card must be un-mounted and USB Debugging must be enabled. Now get ready.
Step 4 : Open the superoneclick folder you’ve downloaded and run SuperOneClick.exe file. You will see the window (below). Click on the "Root" button. You will get messages like shown below and if everything goes well you will get OK messages a lot.
Step 5 : It takes just a minute. And after its done you will see a "Running a Su test Success!" which means the rooting process is completed. Go to your phone app drawer and you will see Superuser icon which means you now have root access. (reboot the phone if you don’t see it)
► Download Links : SuperOneClick (go to the page and scroll down to end of the post for the latest links in the attachments, download and extract) 2) You also need Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0+ or Mono if your run mac or XP. Linux users refer to the guide here by XDA developers.
Rooting Android Using SuperOneClick [Video Guide]
The steps for rooting android mentioned above is explained visually in the rooting tutorial video below by TheUnlockr.com
Note : For phone specific intructions and tips for rooting your android phone go to this page at theunlockr.com. Hope it helps !!!